Monday, January 25, 2010

Sportsianity and the Church

Now this is going to be controversial to some, but I would like to examine the role of sports in our evangelical churches today.  We can all admit that the competitive mindset has overtaken our Christian culture for as long as anyone of us alive can remember and we've all had some negative or positive experiences with it in our lives so it is important to discuss.
I picked the title to pique interest and hopefully promote some dialog.  The term "Sportsianity" has been used before but doesn't seem very popular yet whereas "muscular Christianity" (Wiki) has historical roots from the 19th and 20th century..  It's a derogatory word describing the melding of competitive sports and Christian beliefs, hence 'Christian Athletes'.  Secular authors have had their say on the subject and it's time for us to examine ourselves in this matter.  Some viewpoints here and here.  The Fellowship of Christian Athletes webfca.com has its own creed and I'll reproduce it here for discussion.

I am a Christian first and last.
I am created in the likeness of 
God Almighty to bring Him glory.
I am a member of Team Jesus Christ.
I wear the colors of the cross.

I am a Competitor now and forever.
I am made to strive, to strain,
to stretch and to succeed
in the arena of competition.
I am a Christian Competitor
and as such, I face my challenger
with the face of Christ.

I do not trust in myself.
I do not boast in my abilities
or believe in my own strength.
I rely solely on the power of God.
I compete for the pleasure of
my Heavenly Father, the honor of Christ
and the reputation of the Holy Spirit.

My attitude on and off
the field is above reproach -
my conduct beyond criticism.
Whether I am preparing,
practicing or playing;
I submit to God's authority
and those He has put over me.
I respect my coaches, officials,
teammates and competitors
out of respect for the Lord.

My body is the temple of Jesus Christ.
I protect it from within and without.
Nothing enters my body that
does not honor the Living God.
My sweat is an offering to my Master.
My soreness is a sacrifice to my Savior.

I give my all - all of the time.
I do not give up. I do not give in.
I do not give out. I am the Lord’s warrior -
a competitor by conviction
and a disciple of determination.
I am confident beyond reason
because my confidence lies in Christ.
The results of my efforts
must result in His glory.

Source: fca.com

 This creed is emblematic of the general viewpoint that sports are inherently Christian in nature and to be promoted at every level in the church and Christian societies.  But this wasn't always true.  The early Roman church for example was the victim of their society's lust for sports and entertainment.  There was also a period between the 1920s and 50s where the Protestant Evangelicals sought to distance themselves from the sports mindset.

It is apparent that this is a vast subject and is not easily treated in a short essay.  There is already some discussion at the academic level and there seems to be a growing awareness that 'something has gone awry' with our wholesale acceptance of the competitive spirit in our sanctuaries.  Methodism historically was against allowing sports into church activities when it was introducing the 'holiness movement'.  Now, we as a church and secular society meet in our living rooms on Super Sunday in similar fashion rooting for our team.  The refreshments may be different, but the spirit is the same.
The theology of 'Hyper muscular Christianity' found in some of Mark Driscoll's teaching including a statement "Jesus is a pride fighter with a tattoo down His leg, a sword in His hand, and the willingness to make someone bleed.  That is a guy I can worship...I cannot worship a guy I can beat up." is a natural progression to the philosophy of physical dominance found in most of our churches today that effectively teaches "Only those with strong bodies are good Christians."  or  "Only the strong will inherit the Kingdom of God."  Of course, anyone with a minimum of Biblical understanding knows the scripture teaches much the opposite.
Being 'strong in the Lord' may look like being a total loser to the world, and often does.

Muscular Christianity: Manhood and Sports in Protestant America, 1880-1920

No comments:

Post a Comment